If we can prevent the government from wasting the labor of the people
under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy. - Thomas Jefferson


Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Sweet Stench of Illinois Politics (1 of 2)

Roland "I tried to be guilty but I'm not" Burris:
January 5th sworn affidavit (not an actual quote):
I've never talked to anyone from the Blagojevich administration about filling Obama's Senate seat.

January 8th Ro's sworn testimony (not an actual quote):
I contacted Blagojevich's chief of staff to let him know I too dreamed of being in the Senate.

February 5th Ro releases a 'Clarification Affidavit'* (not an actual quote):
By I've never talked to anyone from the Blagojevich administration, I meant that I had spoken at length three times with Rod's brother Rob. But, you know, we just talked about stuff. No Senate seat discussions.
(yes. Rod's brother is named Rob.)

February 16th Ro speaks to the press (not an actual quote):
At Rob's request, I tried to hold 3 fund raisers for Blagojevich in exchange for the Senate seat but I couldn't get anyone to donate any money to him. So I'm obviously not guilty of any wrong doing because my efforts to buy the senate seat were not fruitful pursuits.

THIS is whyipaytaxes.

* The 2/5 'clarification affidavit' was released after Ro realized there was a significant chance that the FBI tapes in use at the Blago investigation have ol' Ro chatting up a storm. It wasn't brought up at the impeachment trial, and with this 'clarification affidavit' he'd be able to say that he tried to clear the air. Too bad he was lying in his 'clarification affidavit' too. (It was released 2/5 but did not emerge until 2/14)

(slate)

No comments: