If we can prevent the government from wasting the labor of the people
under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy. - Thomas Jefferson


Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Library: Bad. Hockey: Good!

I'm on a roll today, thought I'd keep going for one more...

As I mentioned below in the fireworks rant, Rockford, IL is in the top 10 cities in the U.S. with its ultra high unemployment rates. Needless to say, the city itself is desperately slashing budgets and services to its citizens. Among these are homeless shelters, clinics, the public library, and much more.

NOT among the budget cuts is an ADDITIONAL $1 MILLION likely to be given to the local concert hall, the Metro Center. To be clear, it is more than $1 MILLION EACH YEAR for the next 3 YEARS. Meanwhile, the library's budget cuts will be permanent.
I might add, that a very small percentage of the city uses the Metro Center on a regular basis and many of us have never been there at all. Last year they had a 80's Hair Band concert that didn't even fill the stadium halfway. They also host the local minor league hockey team that NEVER fills the stadium even halfway.

Cutting services, adding corruption.

THIS is whyipaytaxes.

(I have no sources to quote. This is just what I understand of the politics in my town.)

No comments: