If we can prevent the government from wasting the labor of the people
under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy. - Thomas Jefferson


Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Haggling on Haggis

The U.S. government enacted a ban on haggis ingredients from Scotland 21 years ago at the height of the Mad Cow outbreak in Britain.

Since that time, our presidents have been briefed on the 'Haggis Situation', our department of agriculture has to dispel rumors, and we've just spent a lot of time and effort in considering the haggis ban.

Even if we get past the Mad Cow prohibition, we have an even older law on the books. This one goes back to 1971 and bans the import of food made with sheeps lungs.

As per usual: I don't technically disagree with my government. I would hope they ban meat imports from places that have a reasonable chance of shipping us tainted meat (or so I'm told). I have no urge to try a good haggis (they lost me at liver and didn't exactly whet my appetite with the lung).

But do we really need to legislate, maintain, and consider a freaking haggis ban? Braveheart would be pissed. (You can take our lives, but you'll never take our HAGGIS!!!)

THIS is whyipaytaxes.

No comments: