If we can prevent the government from wasting the labor of the people
under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy. - Thomas Jefferson


Friday, October 24, 2008

Bailin' out Iceland

Why do I pay taxes you ask? (Ok. So you didn't ask. But I often ask myself...)
To give Iceland $2.1 BILLION.
Why does Iceland need $2.1 BILLION?
Because these whaling bastards couldn't be content with being a tiny little fishing village on the international scene and decided they should come play in the big boy markets. Of course they failed. Same reason you don't hear about viking raids anymore...
Iceland set for $2.1bn IMF help(bbc)
NOTE: I am not completely familiar in the way IMF works. However, I do know that it is funded by member nations.
Profile: IMF and World Bank(bbc)
Maybe Iceland has to pay it all back and maybe they'll be able to pay it all back. All I know is that a worldwide institution supported in part by my government is giving away money to people who got themselves in a whole heap of trouble. (And before you point out that America is the one that started the heap of trouble, I ask you this: What business did these villagers have investing in our mortgages? We were selling, but we didn't force anyone to buy. Next time, do a little research before taking on liabilities 12 times the size of your GDP...)
Germans Suffer from Exposure in Iceland(CondeNast)

Bailing out entire countries...

THIS is whyipaytaxes.

No comments: