If we can prevent the government from wasting the labor of the people
under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy. - Thomas Jefferson


Sunday, October 5, 2008

Help Me Lower Our US Postal Service Subsidy Payments

The US Postal Service lost $1.1 Billion last quarter. When government agencies like the USPS are operating at a loss, they are being subsidized by our taxes. So, yes, we collectively spent $1.1 billion dollars last quarter to keep the PO afloat.
I'm ok with this. The post office provides a great service and was never intended to operate at a profit. (I am, however, quite uncomfortable with how much money they spend on advertising. Its the freaking post office, not UPS!!!)
In the article that initiates this post, it is pointed out that just over 50% of the mail moved through the USPS is direct mail marketing. What with everyone going to e-mails, online greeting cards, and online bill pay, turns out no one is using the mail except for companies that enjoy deforestation in order to tell you about the latest set of commemorative Elvis plates or to inform you that you are paying too much for auto insurance.
Believe it or not, there is still a large enough portion of taxpayers out there that don't really care about this giant subsidy (and missing forests) and decide to support these direct mailing campaigns by buying shit they didn't even know they needed prior to receiving an ad for it in their mailbox. At any rate: It is still worth the costs involved in a direct mail marketing campaign.
So. We are indirectly subsidizing, at a rate of $4.4 billion per year, the marketing efforts of credit card companies, life insurance companies, cable companies, etc. etc. etc.
Here's how we can reduce the amont of the subsidy we pay to the USPS
I have long been sick of receiving unsolicited mailings. If I wanted a credit card, I'd go get one. If I wanted a rate quote from Geico, I'd go get one. If I wanted to add to my collection of commemorative plates, well, I don't...
So, what I do is take the time to go through my junk mail and look for the postage prepaid return to sender envelopes. I then send my commemerative plate offers to the bank offering a Visa card and I send the terms and conditions of my Visa offer to the folks offering the commemorative plates. This basically doubles the cost of the mailing to me for the target company and forces them to throw in a larger share of the expenses of running a post office.
What I hadn't thought of until I read this article is that because the direct mailing company is paying more to the operations of the USPS, our taxes have been paying less.
(hole in my logic: if the USPS operates at a loss, does that mean that every piece of mail is a loss? Or is it mainly the mail going to places like Deadhorse, Alaska that cost more than they charge?)

Article:
To Postal Workers, No Mail Is ‘Junk’ (Newsweek)

P.S. I ain't no revolutionary. This idea is very old. One place I saw it was in Steal This Book by Abbie Hoffman. Though he recommended that we take these postage paid envelopes and attach them to masonry bricks. With this method, the direct mailing organization actually does pay to have that brick returned to their office.

Yes folks - Subsidizing Direct Mailing Campaigns...

THIS is whyipaytaxes.

No comments: